Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tremulous encounters between two worlds


Tremulous encounters between two worlds

8" x 10"

Prismacolor Colored Pencils & Ink on 300lb Hot-Pressed Watercolor Paper

This artwork is available for purchase here.

The theme of this highly charged drawing is the mythic concept of life, growth, and evolution. A cloud of elaborate eyes shoots down from the bustling cosmos and wisps delicately into a fine tornado-like point that makes contact with the dark, churning ocean of bobbing eyes. This drawing is incredibly detailed; you can see close-ups below. This piece is a fusion of my intensely-detailed black ink drawings and my equally-detailed colorful abstract work. The two come together in a rich marriage of style and energy. My abstract artwork is very process-oriented and carries a spiritual meaning related to the mystery of existence and a reverence for the unfolding process of life. The designs in this drawing arose spontaneously in a stream-of-consciousness manner. While working on drawings that are this detailed, I become so immersed in the work that drawing the images becomes a meditative process through which I strive to achieve balance amidst chaos (similar to the concept of mushin). The colors and designs arise spontaneously and reflect my interest in tribal and aboriginal art, specifically in the act of storytelling through nonrepresentational means. My abstract art is also heavily inspired by my world travels, particularly my visits to remote tribal villages in the Kutch region of India, as well as my visits to temples and roadside shrines in Sri Lanka, India, and Nepal. This image is bright, psychedelic, and incredibly detailed! There is a 1/2 inch border around all four edges of the artwork, to allow for easy matting and framing. This drawing is a standard size for matting and framing.


No comments: