Tuesday, November 29, 2005


Piscean Query, pt.1



Size: 18" x 24" x 1.5"
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Style: Composite Realism
Artist: Thaneeya McArdle

A golden koi fish swims through the universe, at one with the meaning of life. The background of this painting was done in my usual funky abstract style, and for a twist I added a scene of existential query over top. The sentence "consumed by the beauty and mystery of a world gone berserk" is ambiguous enough to allow free association. A fish swimming through outer space serves as one visual example of a world gone berserk. Ultimately it's up to the viewer to determine what meaning they find in this piece. There is some texture in this painting, as you can see in the close-ups below. The 1.5" thick edges of this painting are painted black, making this painting ready to hang directly onto the wall without a frame.

This piece falls into my Composite Realism category, because it draws on a number of artistic styles and aesthetic sensibilities. My Composite Realism paintings are works that combine disparate elements in unexpected ways in order to offer a new way of looking at the world. This painting draws heavily from my abstract style. My abstract paintings are very process-oriented and carry a spiritual meaning related to the mystery of existence and a reverence for the unfolding process of life. My abstract art is heavily inspired by my world travels, particularly my visits to remote tribal villages in the Kutch region of India, as well as my visits to temples and roadside shrines in Sri Lanka, India, and Nepal.

This piece is SOLD.


No comments: